Author Topic: Stupid idea I know but...........  (Read 8469 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Stupid idea I know but...........
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
The mention of galleries and our show yesterday at a craft centre in Dorset yesterday triggered a thought (or rather day dream) that has been rattling in my head for some time. The only all wood gallery that I am aware of is the Dansel in Dorset though there my be others. Most galleries are aimed more at pretty much anything rather than wood. Seeing all the empty shops around in so many towns wouldn't it be great if somehow we could do a co-operative style gallery in some of them dedicated to wood art. I am aware of the difficulties involved but often think it would be good to have more public exhibitions of the better work that we so often see here and on other forums making the public aware and giving them access to it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Stupid idea I know but...........
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:30:59 AM »
Pete

You might have an idea, the AWGB is a resister charity and there are charity shops everywhere, if it could be done under the AWGB members could display and sell their work and the AWGB would take a commission raising funds and promoting woodturning.

I believe that charity shops get reduce or no rates and other benefits

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:46:33 PM »
There is such a thing in operation at the moment. Attend the seminar and bring a piece for the instant gallery, if it is good enough it will be chosen for the travelling exhibition.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 06:01:30 PM »
I know about that John but how many people other than those already interested in wood oriented things will see it? That's a question by the way not a criticism LOL. It is a great advert for the craft and shows what is being done with high quality work on display but I was thinking of something that is based in a high street, shopping arcade etc and is seen by Joe public. Judging by the comments I and probably others get from people at shows I get the feeling that there are a huge number of people who are unaware that there is anything like wooden art, craft etc in this country. The assumption as often as not is that it is something that has been bought in from abroad. Maybe I am just ignorant of what is available but as an example, a gallery in my local town that has genuine local crafts "doesn't like to stock 'wooden stuff' as it is not really proper art or craft is it."

As I said initially it is just a day dream that I have had in mind, probably impractical.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 06:58:22 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I do seem to remember the ABWT putting pieces into an empty shop in Thornbury along with various other local artists of various medias a few years ago.

I know I have seen 'other media' shown in empty shops recently.

And Burnham WTC put a display into the local library but that was more for advertising the club looking to grow it's membership.

So the opportunities are there, the trouble appears to be finding the person in the council or letting agency that would allow that.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 07:17:09 PM »
i didn't know that burnham had their own turning club?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
George is the instigator and Chairman.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »
There was a scheme a while back known as "pop up shops " whereby with council and owners permissions empty shops , especially on high streets could be opened for a few weeks to help liven up  /  rejuvenate trade in the area I  saw some good ones and some not so good .... not so many empty shops now though , here-abouts anyway .... Terry ...

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 09:34:19 PM »
George is the instigator and Chairman.

are we talking about the same burnham??

i live in burnham, where do you mean exactly?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 09:35:26 PM »
Burnham on sea in Somerset.

Pete

ru55ell1

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 11:56:25 PM »
Over the last 12 months the AWGB Seminar Gallery has bee transported to "General" as opposed to wood orientated event in the hope of showing off the output whilst at the same time showing some of the practical skills. The exhibits, with the owners permission, were available to purchase. I personally along with Dave Atkinson (Treasurer) attended the Cheshire Show and can say that the exhibit's were very well received and viewed by many people who would have otherwise been unlikely to see our hobby. Plans are in train to this year attend "Woody" and "Non Woody" shows around the country. I would therefore recommend the seminar gallery as a good starting point for having your output seen and possibly sold.
I do however think that local clubs and branches can help themselves with pop up shops, I attended a very successful event organised by Staffordshire and South Cheshire Woodturners Association in an empty shop in Newcastle under Lyme.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:00:20 AM by ru55ell1 »

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 08:34:34 AM »
I think it safe to report that the Travelling exhibition will be on show at Trowbridge town hall after the seminar. We will see if it arouses the interest of the public then. Of course Pete, you may have other (slightly) more important things to be doing that month ( ;D ;D ;D  )

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 09:15:23 AM »
What's that then John? Might be able to get a bit of time to myself and get involved............well a bit LOL

Pete

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
Thinking aloud......
The travelling exhibition is a laudable thing, well worth visiting I would imagine and may well sell the odd item but if I understand it correctly it must spend most of the time locked away in a cupboard somewhere and be brought out just for special occasions..... It is never going to produce regular and frequent sales so is not really what I think Pete is talking about.
The ideal situation ( as suggested above ) would be if the AWGBs charity status could be used by local clubs to acquire serial temporary shop space but that would require people at club levels to organise it and from what I have read and experienced of local clubs it will be the same individuals who are already doing all the work. So probably not realistic.

Maybe it needs some kind of cooperative of Pro's. What is the status of the RPT ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 09:11:09 PM »
Graham, unlike the AWGB the RPT is not a charity, and not meaning to be rude but neither are their members. This is why so many of us keep moaning about prices and quality and stuff 'cos we earn our living at it (I don't wish to start the old debate again)so I very much doubt if professional turners would open a gallery that included work by hobby turners.(I still hate the term amateur as that in my book is indicative of lesser quality and lesser care taken in production which most of the time is not the case)But the other thing to take into consideration is staffing, insurance, building maintenance and all the little bits that go to running a shop. I am part of a co-operative and that takes quite a bit of time up.