Author Topic: insurance query  (Read 21537 times)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
Re: insurance query
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »
Paul
We are in danger of getting at cross purposes.

I am already aware of most of what you have posted above, but not the bit about the lengths taken before signing up to Tennyson.

I did not ask for comments on the Craftsman Policy.

As it stands the AWGB has stated that it has been advised not to offer advice on this subject, and therefore it says clubs should refer queries to Tennyson.
From that I draw the inference that the wording of their policy document (I've sent for a copy) is still open to clarification.

If that is so I repeat my opinion that it should be possible to formulate a document which is directly relevant. Was that discussed with Tennyson to avoid the need for 136 pages of text? Do clubs want to have to rely on the answer to a query rather than the wording of the policy itself?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
The previous craftsman policy was also a very lengthy document with no specific detail on woodturning activities so it was always necessary to obtain clarification on many queries from the broker. The new policy is no different in that respect and I would suggest that no insurer will ever be able to fully document every possible scenario that their customers may encounter. For that reason, it is and always will be necessary to conact the provider when clarification is required.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »

David as a Branch Secretary you must have a copy of the Insurance Policy which came into force on 1st January 2015 if so you surely would have

noticed it is Underwritten by Zurich as you recommend so you should be more than pleased.

Tony in the past I have always understood (Right or Wrong) that a club should have these CLUB EVENTS on their programme.

One further point I would like to make and I am a Club Secretary is in this day and age of everyone suing for compensation if a Club was found to be

negligent it is then possible that the Committee could be liable.This to me is very concerning. 

Regards John
John Smith

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 06:35:22 PM »
Hi John,

Yes it's good news that the new policy is with Zurich. Aviva were always expensive.

If as you say it is necessary to have events listed in the club program, then we and I guess a lot of other clubs will not be able to do this. Outside event organisers do not always give us the luxury of having the time to put something in our program - often it is all we can do to get an email round and announce at the next meeting. I'm sure your club has the same problems.

This is obviously a point we need clarification on from Tennyson -I;ll email them tomorrow.

Your point re liability is well made - some clubs have considered incorporating and others have sought legal advice on the liability issue. The new insurance scheme may provoke us all into reviewing our positions again.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 06:42:38 PM »
Email just sent to Tom Callingham and I;ll post any reply I get on here.

D.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
 David
         We do not have a problem with outside event organizers we must be lucky I was really talking about the events that our club organizes

Thanks for contacting Tennyson I am sure a lot of us will be interested in their reply as for liability we as Clubs only pay Tennyson for our all risks

policy if you want cover.The AWGB pay the public liability on our behalf so surely they have a vested interest without breaking any rules of the FCA?

John Smith

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »
John, only the affiliated clubs get public liability insurance paid for by the AWGB. Associated clubs can take advantage of the same insurance at the same rates but they pay for it themselves.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »
 If any Forum members are part of an associated club, I'd be interested to know if their club has received the premium invoice and cover documents for public liability as yet.
David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 08:38:15 PM »
Hello David,
                Our Club is Affiliated and I have as Secretary received all documents, have you had a reply from Tennyson yet?

Regards John
John Smith

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »
John,

No reply from Tennyson as yet.

Good to know the affiliated clubs have their paperwork!!  Like most of the associated clubs, we applied for the insurance last year as requested and nothing has come back.

I;ll give Tenyyson a day or so longer and then will phone.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »
Have been badgered by our Club Treasurer to find out what is going on so have called Tom Callingham. Voicemail was on so left a message for him to call - he hasn't replied to emails yet.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
UPDATE

Tom Callingham has just called me back.

Tennyson expect all clubs to do "what's reasonable" to ensure a safe event. Tom was not specific on how we deem any event a Club Event but I managed to get him to confirm that if the club were running the event,  the appropriate planning and risk assessment should be in place.

If the club is attending an event, then "keep track that you attended". I guess however your club does this is down to you.

Tennyson will not be providing any guidelines on the policy or FAQ's as they do not do this.

Tom also said that the AWGB are paying in full for all PL policies and Tennyson will be invoicing the AWGB later this month. The AWGB will then invoice the relevant clubs.
I asked Tom to confirm that we (Cheam) had PL cover and from when. After checking, he said he had our application and that we were covered from 1st January. I asked him to confirm this by email to me.

If anyone has any comments on the policy, Tom's number is 01243 832048.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2015, 04:24:38 PM »
Not a club member so perhaps I should mind my own business.... but that all sounds a bit to vague for my liking.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2015, 05:37:56 PM »
Graham
This debate has been an attempt to clarify matters. Clearly with limited success.
It is pretty obvious from the above information from Tennyson that you can only rely on the wording of the policy document.
However perhaps Paul would give us more detail on the discussions which took place regarding cover being suitable for our activities.
In particular if any assurances were put in writing.

Incidentally I have been advised that the FCA were right to indicate to AWGB that they should not give advice on matters relating to insurance.
However, that this should not prevent AWGB from having an insurance co-ordinator to assist clubs by obtaining answers which are passed on without further comment.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 05:42:31 PM »
Graham,
I can only say it was not easy to get even the info noted above!! Tennyson really did not want to commit on a definition of "club events".
David
David
At The Cutting Edge