Author Topic: 25mm plug cutters  (Read 4877 times)

Offline malcy

• gold
25mm plug cutters
« on: December 26, 2014, 05:09:44 PM »
Anyone know where I can get a 25mm and/or 30mm plug cutter from. A set of 4 sizes at Axminster is out of stock until mid/end January and other places want £50 to £80 for a single one. I don't want to spend that much for one cutter. Malcolm.

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: 25mm plug cutters
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:20:23 AM »
Hi Malcy  --  this size of plug cutter is going o be quite dear but you could use a hole saw and drill down a few mm into the stock then cut the plug out with the stock on edge at the band saw. The other method is similar to that of making a Dutchman inset on a table top, you will need a router with a template for that. Hope you manage to get sorted.  Best Regards  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
surely a plug that size could just be turned?

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 05:12:12 PM »
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I thought about hole saws but thought they wouldn't be accurate enough to use as a decorative insert. Also they could be turned, which is what I have done so far, and they work fine, but I want to do a number of them with cross grain, and thought that plug cutters and a drill press would be a lot faster and very accurate. Thanks for the suggestions. Best wishes for the new year. Malcolm.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »

can't see any prices but these are industrial.

http://www.greetools.com/prodetail.asp?id=83