Author Topic: Restoring My Myford ML8 W.I.P  (Read 43214 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Restoring My Myford ML8 W.I.P
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

Hi Ryan, Looks as if the lathe had not been in as bad of a condition as originally considered. How it had come apart, cleaned up well, you've no pitting to any of the parts seen so far and the smoothest of primed surfaces, can't beat red oxide, I'd wondered on for a more durable finish if etch primer, albeit not so nice to use, would have been better.

As you're progressing this has the makings of a lathe better than when it was new. Keep up the good work.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
Thanks for the support guys.

I have just removed the Starter Switch and I'm tying to find a wiring diagram but having no joy.

And one know the best way to wire it up or have a diagram of a similar switch.

Here is the switch.

Thanks in advance guys and gals if any on here. :)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »

At best you've already started with the picture.. maybe the way to take lots of pic's as to where the wiring went.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 02:14:41 PM »
Hi David,

That is part of the problem lol

The wire coming out from the bottom of the box fell off when I moved the box and I can't see where it was connected.

There was only 2 wire coming in at the top and neither are coloured or marked in anyway.

I am wiring up the box as a mains Power On and Shut Off switch but most of the electrics will be handled by the Treadmill Controller. (there is a kill switch and power on/off on the panel)

I think this is how it was wired.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »
Firstly I'm no expert.

It looks like a connector block to me so if the live is on the left hand top terminal the live should then go on the left hand terminal bottom, neutral middle top and bottom earth right hand side. The earth must be on the right hand side as that's where it's connected at the moment. The switch then just makes the contact or breaks it, on/off.

If you take the switch in to a local electrical wholesaler they will be able to tell you I'm sure.

Ed

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
Thanks Ed,

That's what I was thinking I just wasn't 100% sure.

I thought there might be a different process with replacing old lathe cable. (3 phase single phase and all that jazz)

It has/had a twin core cable at the moment in really bad condition am I better off replacing with a 3 core or should I stick with a twin core?

The power will come from a plug into the box and then the rest of the wiring is from the treadmill set up.
(I'll put pictures of that up tomorrow.)

Essentially I will have a double safety set-up and it might be fiddly but I don't want the kids booping buttons on the Treadmill console and starting up the lathe.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 11:28:05 PM »
Thanks Ed,

That's what I was thinking I just wasn't 100% sure.

I thought there might be a different process with replacing old lathe cable. (3 phase single phase and all that jazz)

It has/had a twin core cable at the moment in really bad condition am I better off replacing with a 3 core or should I stick with a twin core?

The power will come from a plug into the box and then the rest of the wiring is from the treadmill set up.
(I'll put pictures of that up tomorrow.)

Essentially I will have a double safety set-up and it might be fiddly but I don't want the kids booping buttons on the Treadmill console and starting up the lathe.

I  suggest strongly that you ensure that whatever cable you use, it is  sufficiently heavy duty to carry the current that the motor will use.

MC

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 11:51:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice MC,

Do you know how the new wire gauge system works out in old money?

It's all in mm2 now and not rated by amperage.

I have been looking at toughened 2.5mm2 stuff it says its for industrial usage.

Ryan

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 08:00:02 AM »
Ryan

If it's a 240v lathe drawing no more than 13 amps then you would not need more than a 2.5 sq mm cable you could just use a 3 core flex.

Ed

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »
If you had a 2hp motor that would be roughly 1500W, which equates to around 6 amps. 1.5mm squared cable would be ample for that load. You will need to use three core cable to ensure you have an earth.

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
Hello again guys,

Another small update tonight I finished the power box today and I don't mean to blow my own horn but Toot! I think it came out pretty good.

First I flatted out the primer and coated everything in black gloss.
Here is a picture with buttons in for a test fit but it didn't look complete in all black.

On to stage 2 I masked off the Logo area and based it in white primer and then left it under my desk lamp to bake for a little bit.

Next came adding colour well more black but thinned a bit and then the antique gold for the finish.

Without the start button.

With the start button.

The thinned black and the gold are all painted by hand and all that's needed is a clean up and to find a hard clear lacquer to clear coat everything.

Thanks again for reading and supporting me with this project guys and thanks for all the advice and help with all the questions I've asked so far.

I'm sure there will be more to come.

Ryan
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:08:02 PM by Rlewisrlou666 »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »
What an amazing finish, Ryan....you're obviously putting heart and soul into this. You'll have a lathe to be proud of.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »
Very posh, well done so far.

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 09:39:23 AM »
Thanks guys,

The only issue now is because the power/switch box came out so well its made me think that maybe I might be better off sticking with a vintage style paint scheme.

Something Similar to the Singer Sewing Machines I have 2 under the stairs that I restored for my wife before she got her new machine.

1 from the 30's with a hand crank and 1 later one from the 50s with hand crank and removable motor attachment.

The Gun/Silver Smith work on them is beautiful and the style will match what I have already done.

Ryan

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »
Your intent on making life easy foryourself, arn't you!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!