Author Topic: Disabled turning  (Read 6777 times)

Adie

Disabled turning
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
Hi,
I have a friend with a disabled teenage boy who is very keen on having a go at turning. I would like to give him some lessons and could do with some advice on Wheelchair turning.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Disabled turning
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
Hi Adrian I cant see it being a problem if you can get him up high enough.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »
I feel sure Tony Wilson would give you helpful advice from personal experience.
His turning skills are second to none.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
Probably well beyond what you are currently thinking, but there is at least one stand I've seen that holds a midi-lathe at an angle towards a wheelchair bound person.

Not 100% completely sure but I think it's by Vicmark, so if your friends son takes to the art, there are already options out there for him.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:09:24 PM »
Very expensive but both Oneway and Robust make special lathes for wheelchair users. Last time I looked Toolpost had one of the Oneway lathes in stock
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
I would have thought the easiest and cheapest route would be to make a ramp and platform of you have the space in your workshop? Also check how much he is able to move around in the chair. Some are quite tight fits. Spindle work would be easiest and is best anyway for those new to turning. Precautions needed would be based on the fact that he can't just dodge out of the way if something comes off but apart from that I have know a turner in wheelchair who had no real problems.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »

This link from the AWGB Site maybe of help .. http://www.wheelchairwoodturners.org.uk/ ..

Cheers David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Adie

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
Thanks for your replies people, still working on it. I don't think his single mum can afford a special (or any) lathe for him. I must admit hight is going to be a problem.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »
I have some back problems and I cannot stand for long with out pain, so being the keeper of the club lathe I made a lower stand for it so that I could sit and turn, just as I was thinking of a project for me to try it out, my son-in-law turns up with a seat for me! I find the seat is the better idea for me, as turning seems to involve a considerable amount of small body movements, almost a dance routine at times. Constantly moving the stool means getting on and off takes a lot of time, but gets the job done.

There are two things to consider when setting up for the lad, one the level of his disability, and two what suits him. You will need to consider what suits his personality as well as his physical ability.

You could do well to look on ebay and get a drill powered lathe and make a stand for  this and then he can 'have a go' and if he takes to it then go for a more substantial arrangement.

Good to see that you are trying to help the lad and see the person and not the disability
Ron

Adie

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
Thanks Ron,
My lathes are much too high (back problems)!! for him, but a member of my club "Berkshire" has suggested I home one of the clubs small training/demo lathes and use that (problem solved) I just need to build a base at the right hight for the application.
The lad has as outgoing personality (great sense of humor)  and has just had very painful surgery to straighten out his twisted legs and he just wants to be able to walk normally (and he wants to turn)!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 05:33:30 PM »
That is the way to go Adie, get him to post some pictures of his work.
Ron

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »
Good to hear of another youngster wanting to try turning. Well done for taking him on board.

I had one thought about getting him to the right height, but it depends on his level of disability. Instead of building a platform and ramp to take him in his wheelchair, could you build a bench seat, the length of the lathe, that he could transfer himself onto. That would probably not take any more wood, metal etc, to make than a ramp and platform but would have the advantage that he could move along the lathe to get the best position for making cuts. It may need a back to the bench and other accessories but thought it might offer another option.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Bill Mooney

• iron
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »
Try Andrew Hall, info@hallwoodhats.com he has a Harry, a wheel chair bound guy he has taught to turn & gives him a lesson once a week & has done for a good while now. Harry only has the use of one arm & turns some good stuff. I'm sure Andrew will help you in this matter.
Regards,
Bill