Author Topic: Axminster AWVSL lathe  (Read 6906 times)

Offline John

• bronze
Axminster AWVSL lathe
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »
Can anyone help or advise please.
I have an Axminster AWVSL lathe, the machine works fine, but my neighbour is complaining about TV interference from it.
I have spoken to Axminster but they are unable to help, their suggestion is to use a ferrous ring on the mains cable.
Has anybody else any idea's please.

John
John English

Richard Stapley

Re: Axminster AWVSL lathe
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »
John does your Lathe have an Inverter fitted?  it is known that Inverters can create EMI [Electromagnetic Interferance] and that the solution is to use a Filter.

If you Google "Inverter Filters" you should get some information and advise typically www.inverterdrive.com

Hope this Helps

Richard
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:08 PM »
Hi Richard,
The AWVSL has a DC motor and speed control unit, I assume it uses brushes, this could be a problem, I am going to get a ferrous ring the afternoon.
John
John English

Andy Coates

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
You need an RF filter (ferrous ring with a coil around it) it may need to be on your lathe or else more likely on the power supply of the affected TV. If the later I suppose it would be neighbourly for you to purchase it for them. Should be no more than £10-£20.

Try www.maplin.co.uk

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
Thanks Andy,
I have a Maplins just down the road, I will buy a filter on Wednesday.

John English
John English

myatt1972

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:52:09 PM »
A decent TV would have one built in, tell him its time to upgrade  ;D

Andy Coates

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
They should have pre-installed filter, but many aren't really up to  much. In the bad/good old days of CB radio it was a common problem and an RF filter on the cable often stopped the neighbours pounding the door down to complain and smash your rig!