Author Topic: axminster evolution chuck.  (Read 4558 times)

Offline jonas

• iron
axminster evolution chuck.
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
Getting started in woodurning I purchased an axminster evalution  chuck but was dissappointed to find jaws were not included. Which jaws should  I buy for starters.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: axminster evolution chuck.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »
the most common size is 2"/ 50mm for bowls and such and if you want to turn smaller stuff then the 1" / 25mm with a lot of chucks these come supplied as a kit.

You could always send / take the chuck back get a refund and get a robert sorby patriot which you can buy for the same sort of money but it comes with the above jaws and a screw chuck.  :)

Ed 

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: axminster evolution chuck.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:02:08 AM »
Ah Jaws !  You can spend more on a few sets of jaws than you spend on the chuck in a very short space of time. I have both the Evolution and the Patriot Chuck, both are superb devices. When I bought the patriot I had an insert supplied with it, It was my first chuck on my first lathe that was given to me by a very kind friend. I soon found that a new lathe (Myford ML8) needed a different insert, then my final lathe (Killinger) needed an excerpt for M33 each was about £20 so no need to purchase a new chuck. The Patriot is really good for small to medium work but the Evolution being a much larger chuck handles the larger work much better. I do find myself now using the patriot less and less but it is very handy having two so that you don't have to dismount a job to work on something else.     --     Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian