Author Topic: Video instruction  (Read 11807 times)

Nick Arnull

Video instruction
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »
Thought I would share this with you all just found it they appear to be some of the best instruction videos I have ever seen clear instruction and good to watch.
http://woodturning.org/education/

Nick Arnull.RPT.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Video instruction
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »
Any instruction from Stuart is good.

But because I monitor these things, and to let you know, there are over 650 tracker requests made to your computer, just by visiting that site. By comparison this forum has no (thats 0) requests.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Nick Arnull

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »
WOW,
I understood all web access was open to threats/abuse in one way or another, this makes your statement a little obscure and somewhat innocent.
surely a video resource like this that is provided free to educate any one who cares to watch is to be encouraged rather than making misleading and possibly false claims. there are few among us who could not learn something  from any one of these video clips I find your response childish and immature to say the least.
Nick Arnull.RPT.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
Nick,

forgive me, I have no problem with trackers. and just to be clear these trackers are not threats or abuse in any way.

Almost all sites use them to analyse the demographics of the visitors. They also rather cleverly manage to compare your other places visited where the same tracker is used so that they can build up an overview of the sorts of site you visit and generally direct relevant adverts at you. That's good, it's what pays for a (mostly) free internet.

In this I support your statement about a free resource, and yes we can all learn from Stuarts generous free postings, I applaud his largess and desire to give back to the woodturning community. I have been following his site, development of new tools and useful gadgets for a few months now.

But as for the trackers, Google of course is one of the worst generally, but in this instance they only has two trackers on this page;

Facebook is trying to get more heavily into advertising and has (or allows) a whole 2 trackers on it's site;

One of my favorite sites for funnies has 42 trackers, these take 145kb of data to download onto my and anyone elses computer;

But 650+ is an awful lot and these take up bandwidth hence download speed and time. And most of the trackers are not connected to Stuarts site or Vimeo (the video system provider). I was shocked and just find that a little excessive.

So lastly my apologies, I was not trying to say don't visit the site, and agree I was probably a little overzealous in making the comment I did.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:06:52 AM »
I think you can stop the trackers by viewing the site with private browsing or go in to the site with a search from Duck Duck Go

Ed

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the link, I agree with you, they must be one of the very best instruction videos, absolutely brilliant.

Chris.

Nick Arnull

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:49 AM »
Dragonfly,Apology accepted.
I did not want your post to put others off visiting the page as I feel it as I have said before, Is one of the best groups of instructional videos I have seen. They contain information for everyone if its basic tool technique for an absolute novice right through to more advanced techniques,it could even be used to star some new areas of discussion here on the forum.
Nick Arnull.RPT. 

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:40:30 AM »
I think you can stop the trackers by viewing the site with private browsing or go in to the site with a search from Duck Duck Go

Ed

I should be most grateful if you would kindly explain what "private browsing" is and how one can set it up on one's computer.

I am aware of DuckDuckGo and already use it in preference to Google.

Best Wishes and Thanks

MC

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »
MC,

what browser do you use?

IE, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera etc?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
Well I started viewing the videos and I have to say these are some of the best I seen and I shall watch them all there great, people should know about these I'll be spreading the word.

Private browsing is a tool within the browser that you are using

Firefox is Under the File Menu New Private Window

Safari is  Under Safari the Private Browsing

Windows IE7 it found in Safety and then InPrivate Browsing

This is all from my Mac so it might be a little different on a PC but basically you will find the private browsing under the menu system in the browser that you are using, it stops the tracking so you don't keep getting the re-marketing adds popping up all over your browsing.

Hope that helps

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 05:24:31 PM »
Now you see I thought private browsing was what I got up to on my own  ;D ;D ;D
Nick thanks for posting these links, Carlsberg don't make woodturning videos but if they did.........

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »
One must not drink and turn ;D

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 06:52:36 AM »

Private browsing is a tool within the browser that you are using

Firefox is Under the File Menu New Private Window

Safari is  Under Safari the Private Browsing

Windows IE7 it found in Safety and then InPrivate Browsing

This is all from my Mac so it might be a little different on a PC but basically you will find the private browsing under the menu system in the browser that you are using, it stops the tracking so you don't keep getting the re-marketing adds popping up all over your browsing.

Hope that helps

Ed

I'm using a portable Apple Mac running OS 10.5.8 at the moment which has Firefox version 2.0.0.14 installed.

There's nothing in the FILE menu that looks relevant and searching for "private" in HELP didn't bring up "private browsing".

I don't have access to my desktop Mac at the moment; that's an G4 AGP graphics (with an accelerator card) running OS 10.4.11. It was part of my retirement package from the University in 2005. I don't know offhand which versions are installed but I have both Firefox and Safari and also Netscape and Opera.

I suspect the versions are the latest versions compatible with  OS 10.4.11.

OS 10.4.11 is the latest that will run on my Mac. If I bought a new Mac, I would then discover that none of my existing software [which includes Office version X) would run and that would all have to be replaced too.

Might Firefox call "private browsing" by another name?

Best Wishes and Thanks

MC

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 07:29:14 AM »
MC,

I'm not an Apple expert by any means but Firefox V2.0.0.14 is old.  Can you click on it's 'help' menu option the 'About Firefox' menu option. After a few seconds the window that opened should display if Forefox is 'up-to-date or not.

For example my version is V28.

If it does need updating, do that first and then we'll be able to step on from their.

Bryan

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »
MC,

I'm not an Apple expert by any means but Firefox V2.0.0.14 is old.  Can you click on it's 'help' menu option the 'About Firefox' menu option. After a few seconds the window that opened should display if Forefox is 'up-to-date or not.

For example my version is V28.

If it does need updating, do that first and then we'll be able to step on from their.

Bryan

As far as I understand the situation, there's NOT a newer version that will run on  OS10.4.11

And 10.4.11 is the most recent that will run on my Mac.

So I guess that I'm b*gg*red

MC