Author Topic: Cardiff Arts Centre  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Cardiff Arts Centre
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:14:31 PM »
So last weekend SWMBO took me to Cardiff (she can't drive so I did but I'm sure you know what I mean).

Anyway, one of the places we visited was the Cardiff Arts Centre down at the Docks. Of course I went looking for any turning and 'found none!'

Asking why of the ladies at the pay desk I was surprised at the answer.

Instead of the expected answer, 'Woodturning is a craft not art', I was told, 'We used to have two turners but they moved away. No-one has come in since to ask us to show their work.'

So come on folks, there is an opportunity there for someone in South Wales, they are waiting for you.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Cardiff Arts Centre
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »
Is that Craft in the Bay? If so it is only welsh artists that are displayed if I remember correctly. If it is somewhere else where please?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
Pete,

you are correct, down at Tiger (can't spell it the Welsh way) Bay.

Welsh turners only as you note but there is a group or two not too far away I'm sure.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:43:15 PM »
Les?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
Les?

Up North maybe a bit far at Bala ..

Roderick is close at llanelli, Not sure where we'd find Gwilym.

Adds tow more.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 06:07:23 AM »
Hi all.....yep, a bit far for me, and maybe a bit too much of a commitment at this early stage. How about the Julian (Julcle) and the Crow Valley members....they're just a hop and a spit away!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 09:18:29 AM »
I use to be a member and Trustee of the Makers Guild in Wales who run the Craft in the Bay Gallery. In the past along with myself members have included Paul Clare and Mike Scott. My membership made a huge difference to my work and the opportunities that came my way - I got the Foreign Office commission through the Guild. I would recommend anyone to look at applying to be a member. They do have a strict selection procedure but the result is a membership of some of the best Makers in Wales.

I have been invited to exhibit in their wood exhibition later this month - need to get the work done :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 09:47:11 AM »
Been a bit cheeky and as I am of Welsh heritage and was brought up there I sent off an email. Just waiting for the rejection slip LOL. Don't ask you don't get LOL. Must admit it would be odd going back down Tiger bay as it is a bit different to the days in Uni when we used to go trawling the pubs in the early 70's. Gone posh now LOL.

Pete
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:51:19 AM by bodrighywood »

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
Been a bit cheeky and as I am of Welsh heritage and was brought up there I sent off an email. Just waiting for the rejection slip LOL. Don't ask you don't get LOL. Must admit it would be odd going back down Tiger bay as it is a bit different to the days in Uni when we used to go trawling the pubs in the early 70's. Gone posh now LOL.

Pete

As far as I am aware you have to be living and working in Wales to be a member, that is why I had to resign when I moved to Worcestershire. Check out this link
http://www.makersguildinwales.org.uk/makers-guild-in-wales/become-a-maker-member

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 01:07:16 PM »
I read through that Mark and fully expect a refusal but as I said, don't ask you don't get. At the moment I am knocking any door that comes up and trying to find galleries, exhibitions etc that accept wood turning is difficult. If I just sit and wait to be 'recognised' I will wait for ever. Promoting and selling is far more difficult and time consuming than making things as you are well aware I am sure.

Pete

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
I live in Swansea and am frequently back and fore to Cardiff. I will investigate on my next visit.. Malcolm.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »
I read through that Mark and fully expect a refusal but as I said, don't ask you don't get. At the moment I am knocking any door that comes up and trying to find galleries, exhibitions etc that accept wood turning is difficult. If I just sit and wait to be 'recognised' I will wait for ever. Promoting and selling is far more difficult and time consuming than making things as you are well aware I am sure.

Pete
Being a Maker means you have to become a jack of all trades (unless you can afford to pay someone else  to do them) and promoting and selling is definitely one of the more difficult areas and as you say very time consuming. I can't imagine the time I spent looking for galleries but what I did learn was to research them well before making an approach. Guilds who run their own gallery space usually only show their members' work except where they curate exhibitions sourced from outside makers or touring exhibitions. In this case all you can do is introduce your work to them for a possible future exhibition that they may run.

Offline Retire2004

• iron
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »

Hi Guys,
Well, the two ladies are inncorrect. I for one, have applied to become a maker member as recently as last May and was declined. the membership criteria are quite daunting, the main requirements are; you must live and work in Wales, be of professional standing and be prepared to "steward" up to eight days a year. Commission is 40% plus VAT and annual membership is £150 plus VAT there is a one off hanging fee of £50. The application fee is £25 and members are only accepted once a year.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Tudor