Author Topic: Altercation with a Skew chisel  (Read 22283 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Altercation with a Skew chisel
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
Well,no woodturning for me for the next week or so,had an altercation with a skew chisel,there was this loud bang,followed by me going ooh argh to put it politely,problem was when the massive dig in happened,( first time for years and years I might add),little pinky  :'(got caught in the mellee,causing blood to be liberaly  sprayed about,till I thought to put some pressure on wound,how can I describe it,end of finger ripped open full width about a halfway down from the tip to the first joint with nice sized flap of skin/flesh exposed.So what to do,phone wife 7-8 times no answer :-\,phone doc`s,they say come straight in and  and practitioner nurse will see you straight away,phone friends,no answer from any of them :-\,new problem,how do I get there when wife has car and no signal her (found this end,phone friends,noone in,oh I live in a rural village,doc`s is 7-8 miles away,so walk up road till I find someone in,ask for a lift,luckely they were in car on way out(that`s why they didn`t answer phone),was lucky to catch them,and a bonus,they were going to the same doc`s,very handy,so get in to see lovely nurse (kind I mean),she cleans it up while asking how i did it,I go through saga and get told if your going to do something might as well make a proper job of it,we both laugh,then she straps it together with sterry strips and puts loads of wadding on it,while this is being done,wife gets home and finding me not there phones me and says what have you done this time after seeing plasters all over kitchen worktop,so tell her I`m being treated by said lovely nurse and can she come and pick me up,on picking me up,first thing wife says is how bad is it this time,I say I`ll live and that`s that,till next time I`m left alone haha,cheers,

Eric.

PS,will be using skew as soon as allowed just to prove I`m not scared of it :o.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Altercation with a Skew chisel
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
We take it that it was a normal sized skew, not one of your tiny ones.

Hope you're up and at-it again soon, even if you have to tell a fib or two!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:58:19 PM »

Eric, Glad to read it's a flesh wound and you're all in one piece.. other than the fact, it happened.

Take care.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:18:57 PM »
I suppose as the Health and Safety rep I should have something to say.........glad you are OK and it was not too serious!
 What you need to do now ('cos you can't do anything else at the moment) is analyse what happened or try to work out why it happened. I don't think you can call yourself a proper turner until you have had a major catch like this, just a shame it caught you though.
 Here's hoping you have a rapid recovery and remember it could be worse, the Army could be shooting at you.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »
Ouch sorry about your mishap. That is always the way when something happens nobody is around. Take care and while recovering sit and design some nice pieces to turn.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:37:37 PM »
I suppose as the Health and Safety rep I should have something to say.........glad you are OK and it was not too serious!
 What you need to do now ('cos you can't do anything else at the moment) is analyse what happened or try to work out why it happened. I don't think you can call yourself a proper turner until you have had a major catch like this, just a shame it caught you though.
 Here's hoping you have a rapid recovery and remember it could be worse, the Army could be shooting at you.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

So one cannot call oneself a Proper Driver, untill you've had a Car Accident/s ..   :o ..  ::) .. No wonder there are so many vehicle accidents .. all trying to become Proper Drivers .. And I fail as being a Turner.

The outcome sadly in Eric case, as with anyone else, it echos what was raised in a past post on Safety, as most of us do work alone, just what do you do in an emergency, as happened, yet furthermore it is to avert/prevent them from happening ... the aim of any safety code... You play with Fire .. you get ..

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 11:59:52 PM »
Unlucky Eric, glad to hear its not that bad, but on the bright side you will be able to sit and read a few turning book's

Hope your soon back at your lathe

Ed

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »
looking at the big hole in the wood,I`d say the long tip of the 1" skew dug in,a moments lapse of concentration is all it takes chaps so beware and don`t lapse,the skew is still my favourite tool though even though it bites occasionally,cheers,

Eric.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »
Hi Eric, sorry to hear of the mishap, hopefully you will be bringing items to the club again soon!
What were you turning when you did this? I usually gat a spiral when I get a catch, although I haven't had one for a while
Ron

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
Ron,was turning a totem pole for a friend ,in sections as about 5 times to long for my lathe,yes will be back at the lathe as soon as I`m healed.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »
A totem pole eh? Will we see you in war paint next month?
Ron  ;D

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »
had to give up the war paint,frightened to many children.