Author Topic: Axminster AWSL or AWVSL problems  (Read 6775 times)

Offline DawnHopley

• iron
Axminster AWSL or AWVSL problems
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:34:56 PM »
 :(

Three years ago I purchased an Axminster AWSL lathe with the variable speed option (AWVSL) to use at craft fairs and demonstrations. It only gets used three or four times a year, and spends most of the time up a corner covered in a dust sheet.

From new, I noticed that I got a lot of chatter when turning small chuck mounted bowls, platters and mushrooms; but always put this down to blunt tools or my novice hands. However, at a recent club hands on meeting, we noticed that it was fine when turning between centres or pen-making and that the problem only occurred with chuck or face plate mounted work. We feared that the bearings may be at fault. However, after further investigations, we discovered that the whole bearing arrangement in the head-stock is loose in the casting. This is obviously a manufacturing or design fault that I had not spotted, and yes it is now out of the Axminster 3yr warranty.

Before I write to Axminster to see if they can offer any help or advice, I was just wandering if anyone else has had a similar problem? I notice that Axminster no longer sell this lathe and wonder if they have had issues? I have also been told that someone at the West Midlands Woodturners club has had the same problem and has had to add a second bearing to remedy the situation?

Your advice would be most welcome.

Dawn
Mid Staffs Woodturners

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Axminster AWSL or AWVSL problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:11:02 PM »
Dawn,

I can't say it's the same problem but Burnham-on-Sea woodturners had a couple of these lathes (now sold on) and one certainly had the symptoms you describe.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
I`d write to Axminster anyway if it is a manufacturing fault ,they are very helpful normaly,in past experience with them.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:06:43 PM »
Check the hand wheel assembly on the head stock. I had problems with mine when I first got it, the hand wheel although not loose had not been put on fully mine did not show any problems immediately as I (at the time) only turned pens.