Author Topic: workshop heaters  (Read 6389 times)

Offline Danny

• iron
workshop heaters
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »
I am still in the process of setting up my workshop (single car garage although who uses their's to house a car) and I would appreciate any advice on heaters. Do i go for an oil filled heater or a convector heater(possible fire risk??)

regards
Danny

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: workshop heaters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
Hi Danny

I would only use an oil filled heater due to airborne dust. These may take longer to heat up but will remain warm for a long time after switching off.

Philip

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
Depends on how quick you want to heat your space, I tend to want immediate warmth so use a little electric fan heater, oil fired are ok if you can switch them on 1/2 an hour before you want to use the shop.

I supposed a mixture of the 2 would be idea, the fan heater would take off the initial chill then the oil filled rad would keep it topped up.

I blow air from a compressor through my little fan heater every now & then just to prevent any build up of dust.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
Depends on how quick you want to heat your space, I tend to want immediate warmth so use a little electric fan heater, oil fired are ok if you can switch them on 1/2 an hour before you want to use the shop.
My oil-filled 2.5 Kw electric radiator has a built in timer so it can be programmed to come on and pre-heat the workshop before work commences.  You can also purchase an electric socket timer for less than a fiver (5 GBP) which can likewise be programmed to switch on/off a heater plugged into it at pre-set times. 

I find that my 2.5 Kw oil-filled radiator in conjunction with my thermally insulated garage workshop is capable of maintaining a working temperature of around 20°C even on the coldest day.

Tim

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »
Like Tim, I have an oil filled electric heater but mine has the plug type timer set to come on half an hour before I expect to enter my workshop so that it is nice and warm when I start.

I also set it to come on for short periods during the night when there is the possibility of frost to avoid damage to my finishing products.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
I have double glazing and with the machinery going sometimes have to leave the door open LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »
I been involved in selling heaters for many years and I would not and repeat Would Not use a fan heater in a dusty workshop, the best heater for safety would be the oil filled radiator or panel heater. The other idea would be to use the oil filled tubular heaters that gardeners use in their green house's these are very low wattage and you could leave them on they wont heat the workshop up like an oven but they will keep the chill off .

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
I think you are all wusses :D man up and work without heat!! Open the doors and windows to air the workshop out and turn in flip flops.

Only joking folks.
BHT
H&S rep :o

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 08:33:12 PM »
I have no heating whatsoever !  and I only turn in winter ( busy with other things in summer ) , The only problem I find is my visor steams up a bit at times !  Recently I have been doing a fair bit of scorching/ textured finish on Ash which warms it up a bit but it is very dirty work !.... Terry

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »
Hi Danny,

I use oil filled radiators for the reasons already stated - minimal fire risk with dust around. Screwfix have them on offer at the moment. Mine is the basic 1.5kw unit for £34.99, but a timer version is only £5 more.

Another thing worth doing is dry lining and insulating the walls of any single brick structure (garage, outhouse). A bit more expensive than just a heater but very effective.

And some form of insulating matting on the floor works surprisingly well to keep your feet warm.

Or my other method is a second pair of thick socks ;D,  but please don't ever consider wearing gloves when turning.

See you at the club next week, hopefully,
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Danny

• iron
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »
Hello all,
Once again this forum has come back with good tips and advice. :)
I have purchased an Oil filled heater and it appears to be working fine.

Many thanks
Danny :)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »
I suggest you also consider installing a Microclean air filter. I only use mine when sanding, but some keep them running all the time.