Author Topic: Design and Inspiration  (Read 27888 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Design and Inspiration
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »

Well Mark, The one thing that's right up or is that down your street, an Oriental theme out of a small cored blank or any limited size small piece, then why not a large bowl form, Ash or best Sycamore, pierced, textured and painted black, maybe scorched branches and leaves, then inside the white giving the balance.

Next big quesion Why not go make it .. indeed ...

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »
Mark
this really is taking off, well done.
David my thoughts entirely until................. I am using a laptop to view all this, I leant to the right and looked at the screen, Mark's moon stays the same but the leaves appear as they would on a negative. Not sure what will come of it but that has been stored in the grey matter for future use I know.
Keep it up guys.
regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »
Mark
this really is taking off, well done.
David my thoughts entirely until................. I am using a laptop to view all this, I leant to the right and looked at the screen, Mark's moon stays the same but the leaves appear as they would on a negative. Not sure what will come of it but that has been stored in the grey matter for future use I know.
Keep it up guys.
regards
John BHT

What it is, all this new tecology ...   ::) ..   :o .. can't beat a box brownie and a slate and chalk .. till someone swipes that toooo .........   ;D ..

Mark Sanger

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2013, 06:23:31 AM »

Well Mark, The one thing that's right up or is that down your street, an Oriental theme out of a small cored blank or any limited size small piece, then why not a large bowl form, Ash or best Sycamore, pierced, textured and painted black, maybe scorched branches and leaves, then inside the white giving the balance.

Cheers  David

Hi David

It may be the time of morning, but I don't understand what you are saying here. ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »
Mark asked me to add these pics to this thread following in post about my 'Egg Turning' development. I think they have both been posted before, sop please excuse me for repeat posting.

As I said, I started with a turned egg, pushed and pulled it into all-sorts of shapes and finally back to an egg from a Banksia pod free form.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »
Hello Bryan, I had seen the Banksia pod before but can;t remember seeing the egg. Very nice. Does it open?
         I have spent the day developing an idea that i have been working on for some time now, but I had hit a stumbling block. I believe I have now overcome that particular problem and it may be due to this thread, so thanks guys.
regards
john BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
John,

yes the 'egg' comes out of the stand and the lid comes off. it is fully hollowed.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 01:14:53 AM »

Cheers  David

Hi David

It may be the time of morning, but I don't understand what you are saying here. ?

Is it just the highlighted you didn't understand ...  It was meant as your thoughts, asking if I had that vision, why not go and make the piece, trust it clears what I intended to mean.

Cheers  David

Mark Sanger

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »

Cheers  David

Hi David

Is it just the highlighted you didn't understand ...  It was meant as your thoughts, asking if I had that vision, why not go and make the piece, trust it clears what I intended to mean.

Cheers  David

Sorry David

It was far too early for me yesterday, first time up at 0530 for a demo in a couple of months and what with being washed out from the virus my brain did not start working until, well, I can not recall.  :)

In relation to the picture.

I have taken it as a point of inspiration for a piece.

At the moment I am merely thinking deeply about what the picture means to me, what the moon and the autumn leaves mean. Thoughts of childhood days at my grandparents when I would look out of the upstairs windows and be told what the constellations are.

Jotting down notes and sketching ideas and from this researching, the moon, tidal changes, leaf formations/structure, decay, the meaning of autumn in various religions,  Pagan moon goddess, Pagan tea leaf readings, religion. Collecting reference pictures from my childhood and other sources for a storyboard. After I have absorbed myself into this for a few weeks I will start to think of a project based on what stirs in my grey matter.  :)

At this stage I am not thinking of what type of piece it will be, bowl, hollow form or sculpture based as for me it will only distract from connecting with the subject/picture.

I will the thread updated but it may be a while as I am snowed under with work at the moment. This being a large amount of the time I think while I produce my bread and butter work.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »
Mark asked me to add these pics to this thread following in post about my 'Egg Turning' development. I think they have both been posted before, sop please excuse me for repeat posting.

As I said, I started with a turned egg, pushed and pulled it into all-sorts of shapes and finally back to an egg from a Banksia pod free form.

Thanks for adding this, I know you have posted these in the gallery before, but I hoped it would stimulate some thinking by showing how you have progressed your ideas.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:15:11 AM by Mark Sanger »

Mark Sanger

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »
For those interested in looking at ways to stimulate creativity and develop design, this publication is useful read and suggests many exercises to help with creativity, such as;

Creative Workshop

Brainstorming
TimeBoxing
Word listing
Picture association
Mind mapping
Brute think
Idea Inversion.   

The subjects are covered specifically for the times when creativity needs to be stimulated. Although the book is based in graphic design the processes and exercises are easily converted to our craft, with there being many examples of the process being used for various projects.

One of the interesting points that the book gets across is that creativity comes about by 'doing' and that it is important just to 'make' and not worry about the ends result as this in itself will stimulate creativity and new ideas.

There are many other publications on line which are of use and the ones I have read and think may help I will post if anyone is interested.!!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »

One of the interesting points that the book gets across is that creativity comes about by 'doing' and that it is important just to 'make' and not worry about the ends result as this in itself will stimulate creativity and new ideas.

I must admit that my 'inspiration often comes when I am in the middle of making something to the point that it is all too easy to get sidetracked LOL. That "Ooh I wonder if" moment when doing something stimulates the thought processes in often a completely different direction, usually based o something i have seen somewhere else. Also find that when something goes wrong it forces me to think differently as well. I like the Japanese philosophy of repairing things instead of just throwing them away when they get broken or go wrong.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mark Sanger

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »
Hi Pete

Just popped in for a cuppa and saw your reply.  This is so true for me as well, in that it is often the times when I just play, don't worry about what I am going to make or dare I say it, mess up big style and smash something, or ruin a finishing effect that ideas seem to flow much more freely.

The philosophy of repairing items is a difficult one for us to grasp in the west certainly I find it difficult at times to let go of the ordered perfection that is force fed as we grow up.  with it ad for this reason have returned to working with cracked oak posts more as while the forms and techniques are simplistic the letting go of the faults and seeing them as beauty is at times hard.

This being one of the reasons I posted the picture as an idea for inspiration. The picture and the end result being related to it in any way is not the aim, but thinking about ideas is as creativity is something that if practiced little and often will soon become second nature.

Do you ever use bubble charts/graphs for ideas as a way of thinking up new ideas ? it is a simple way of coming up with variations of a theme or a new idea.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 08:45:48 PM »
Hi Pete

The philosophy of repairing items is a difficult one for us to grasp in the west certainly I find it difficult at times to let go of the ordered perfection that is force fed as we grow up.  with it ad for this reason have returned to working with cracked oak posts more as while the forms and techniques are simplistic the letting go of the faults and seeing them as beauty is at times hard.

No points for design ... it was too nice a Tea/Coffee ... come watering pot of the Wifes' to throw away for the want of a knob ...   ;D ...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 09:47:36 PM »
David,

a dab of gloss white and you'd never know it was a repair.