Author Topic: New Workshop  (Read 17877 times)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
Re: New Workshop
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
very impressive, unfortunately that's the kind of 'permanent' structure that the planning office has told me not to build, hehe
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »

Julian, that is very impressive indeed, thank you for sharing, how's it looking now.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »
Embarrassingly untidy I am afraid to say David and badly in need of a clear out. Working life doesn't leave much time to spend out there with only one day a week spare.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »
Someone mentioned fitting a wood burner in the workshop. That may sound like good advice from a distance but unless the room is truly massive you will be unlikely to keep shavings, dust etc at a great enough distance from chimney as well as fire for any sort of peace of mind. I once turned up in my red lorry full of ladders to find a smoking pile of ash and its owner black, burnt and shedding real tears on the lawn. Spend the money on padded overalls instead would be my advice.
Tarra
Brian

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
Embarrassingly untidy I am afraid to say David and badly in need of a clear out. Working life doesn't leave much time to spend out there with only one day a week spare.

Julian, That looks about right ...  a worked in shop .. Working Life gets in the way .. back to it now for me, even for a BH Monday .. ready for normal days mailing ..

Cheers   David

PS ..  John how's it looking on your shop front.

Paul Disdle

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
I built my on workshop its 14x8 foot. It cost me about £600 and with a couple of friends went up in a day and a half. Find a timber yard not a DIY outlet to get materials from. This reduced my costs by several hundred pounds. Also as only the front is viewable I clad the sides and back in exterior ply instead of shiplap which also helps to reduce build cost and time. Insulation is well worth fitting and I would recommend installing a window or two. I found some used double glazed windows being thrown out and designed around them, natural light is a great bonus in any workspace.

Paul

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 06:40:25 AM »
Talk about delays!

Mainly due to me randomly deciding to go to the French Alps for a month on my motorcycle  ;D

The new workshop is being put up this coming Thursday  ;)

Although it will just be the building, and will still need powering, really looking forward to it.

And really looking forward to getting all the equipment out of my kitchen, haha.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »

John, good to read you'll have the shop go up so .. it's just the rest of everything that follows.

Soon be enjoying it and having fun.

Cheers   David

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I bought a standard shed - something like 10 ft by 6 ft  and had a local handyman line it with 3/4 inch ply with insulation (like silver bubble wrap from Screwfix) in the cavity. I  had an electrician chum provide a power supply and a few twin 13A sockets (all RCD protected). When I  realised that I  didn't have enough sockets I  asked him about some more and he told me to buy a four gang extension lead and screw the outlet to the wall. I  actually got a six gang individually switched socket and fixed the cable to the Wall with little cable clips to keep it out of the way. My original bench was built from 4x2 offcuts from an extension (and recycled school desk tops) but newer ones from recycled Speedframe.

It's NOT big enough but that's all that I  could  afford at the time.

MC

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
It's NOT big enough but that's all that I  could  afford at the time.

MC

They are never big enough !
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »
Well they just finished installation, very happy  ;D

John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
few more :-

John Simon Lawrenson

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »

Wow John, that looks like it's going to be some workshop and not far to go from the house.

Well done.  David

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »
Yes it's fantastic, the build quality is amazing. What I haven't decided yet, is what to do inside, should I fill in the gaps with insulation of some kind and then cover with boarding? So many choices in that area, none of them cheap.
I also picked a bad time to change my car, I traded in my estate for a coupe, so now I cannot get much in the way of boarding into the car, ooops, lack of pre-thought there.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »
Dilating upon earlier comment, I  decide to have the shed lined with 3/4 ply so that it would  be strong enough to support things on hooks screwed into the ply. The Insulation was this http://tinyurl.com/kznvn9c from Screwfix

At the suggestion of the crime prevention policeman, I  had substantial steel strip (1“ x 1/4”) fixed across window with coach bolts and I  added a cylinder dead lock to support the rim lock that was supplied on the door.

MC