Author Topic: New Lathe  (Read 13403 times)

toolie

New Lathe
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking into changing my lathe as I have out grown it and my workshop is getting a bit tight for space, I've been looking at the dvr xp. does anyone have first hand experience of the lathe, is there any pitfall with it? any bad point to this machine? (other than cost :))

thanks
Dave

Andy Coates

Re: New Lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »
I don't have the DVR XP, but I've used it at demonstrations and it's a good solid lathe and does what you'd expect it to.

You could also look at the wivamac DB800 Vario.

Jacktownhill

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »
Hello Dave,

I had the DVR for years & loved it. I turned some pretty big pieces on it too.

My only criticism was, that when turning bigger items with the Headstock turned through 90 degrees.
It induced vibration that I was never able to properly cure. I eventually bought the Cast Iron Stand but it offered only minor improvement.

I eventually sold my DVR & bought a VB36. It might surprise you to know that I actually preferred the DVR in many ways & If I'd known then, what I know now? & if I'd had the space - I'd have kept both machines.

Jack

Colin

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »
I have had a DVR for 6 years now and it is a great lathe for what I turn. I have the outboard turning rest and have only used it once so think long and hard about whether you need it. I have added a remote start / stop and speed change box to it that I find useful. Mine is mounted on a homemade mdf stand filled with sand that weighs 300kg and I have put some pretty out of balance stuff on it without problem. I wish I could have got mine with the metric spindle rather than the weird US thread which makes for more expensive accessories and less choice of them too. Would I buy another definitely yes.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »
I've had the DVR for 6 years now as well and I think it's great.  I needed a new on off toggle switch and the service from Record was excellent (I originally got it from Sorby as they were the distributor then - it's now record)

I'm lucky as mine as the M33 x 3.5mm thread.

Cheers Dave

toolie

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »
thanks for the replys,
I'll take a look at the alternative andy mentioned.
thanks again
Dave

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:50:03 AM »

Should be able to look over and try the DVR, Saturday on Records stand, may get a deal, if any are left.
Check for build, cut of thread, see if can get to fit a chuck, an if it runs true and the tailstock for alignment and it runs smoothly,
just a few checks to think about.  Then there's the Maxi 1 about the same for price, well maybe £300 more, that I understand as being a good Lathe.
Oh alot to think about.. 

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:34 AM »
Dave

Have a word with Mark Sanger, he has a Record Maxi. Give him a PM

Philip

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »

Hi Dave,

One other to think about and to look at Saturday is Hegner's HDB 200 XL it looks well engineered by their information:  http://www.hegner.co.uk/lathes/lathes/hdb-lathe-specifications/ ...  Like Record has a 5yr guarantee... "full 5 year guarantee on every mechanical part of the lathe and a standard 12 month guarantee on the motor and electronics",  only thing they don't give is the price..   not like the old site for details, but got to be round the same price range if add all the bits, there can be a show deal, if lucky,
form both Record or Hegner...    ;) ...

Philip mentioned contacting Mark, he had the HDB before he tested the Maxi, an so liked it, he brought one as replacement..  Humm...   that may answer one question, even for me
as the HDB has been a lathe I liked for it's design, would be interesting to hear his comments first hand as to the change, maybe size differance.

Well more feed for thought..

David

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »

Dave,  I see from Events an Yandles, you got the DVR ordered thursday, before the Show,  WELL, have you had delivery, busy playing, what's happening !!!!     We'd all like to hear and see the results...    SO...   please..    ;D ...

Wooow or is it something stronger said..   £11.00 for crossing the bridge, an that's paying oneway is it..   the M6 troll here is close to that for the 2 way through trip at the moment, cheaper at night if it fitted your trip times..

My round trip was 328 miles, if I'd not stayed all saturday with my sister & family and returned to the show, it could have added 54 or so more miles, depending if I cut cross country the back ways direct-ish.     I'd then, also seen yourself and others, may have found some extras, as always which can be useful, but not to sure, but should miss getting...    ??? ...

Till we hear, enjoy, have fun, but do tell, please....              David

toolie

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 12:31:57 AM »
Hi David

I picked the lathe up from Yandles when I was at the show, the offer I was given on the thursday sounded a good deal so I went for it ;).

after getting it home there was the task of dismanteling and removing the old lathe, then the unpacking and putting together of the new, the parts were all well packed and covered in grease. 

it wasn't until I pluged it in to warm up that I realised there was something missing, Oh no the supernova 2 chuck was missing!  gave yandles a ring and it was sent out, got it on tuesday.

while waiting for the chuck I did some familiarising exersises, just messing around really. I'll put a photo in the gallery of what i just finished on it today.

dave

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:56:45 AM »

Dave,  you had a good result all round, the only one leaving saturday with the DVR and chunk sent high speed, Yandles, I'd found was always good for service, a year or more ago now they posted a Delta disc/belt sander on at no cost, as had run out at the show..  top marks..

So you've had a play, can see the   ;D ..  from here..   has it done what it says on the box...   Enjoy yourself..  Looking at them friday, they've sorted them out from first taking them on, it's a nice piece of kit.

Happy turning.           David

jiff

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »
Hi Toolie.  I also have outgrown my Jubilee Lathe and looking for a new one, that can turn around 20" over the lathe bed.  Thinking of the Record Maxi 1 or 2.  Has anyone owned one of these or thinking of owning one?  Budget of under 2K.  Let me know.  Jiff

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 01:29:40 AM »
Dave

Have a word with Mark Sanger, he has a Record Maxi. Give him a PM

Philip

Hi Jiff,  Philip right about Mark, he tested the Maxi 1 for Woodturning Magazine..  so liked it he turned (no pun..  ;D.. ) round an got one, so he'll be one to help you.

It was Woodfast, which had been good and should be just the same via Record, all being as with everthing, almost all of which now comes from the East..

David