Author Topic: Cole jaws v longworth chuck  (Read 30428 times)

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
Re: Cole jaws v longworth chuck
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
That is an excellent idea!!!
Regards
Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
10" mdf circle with a faceplate ring on the back and router type mat on the front.

To steal George's thunder...

Make sure is it Router mat, not the cheap stuff from pound shops that looks the same. It's not nearly as 'sticky' and therefore fails to grip/hold as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
I really like that chuck idea, Paul....I think that it's what was being recommended to me in an earlier thread, but now that I've seen a photo, it makes more sense. Is there some sort of ring fixed on the back of the mdf that fits your chuck?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Paul Disdle

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Good point, this is the real deal. I do a fair amount of routing and this mat will even hold up under my big belt sander.

Paul

Paul Disdle

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »
Hi Les

Yes it is a axminster face plate ring http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-faceplate-rings-prod22097/ that fits the jaws on my K10 chuck. I happened to have one I got free with my chuck. My original plan was to turn a mount to fit the chuck jaws.

Thanks

Paul

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »
I have Cole, longworth and donut chucks all homemade.

The Cole jaws are plywood and fit/screw on my SN2 chuck. I dont use them much except for small jobs ie lids finial etc.

The Longworths are 600mm and 300mm in dia made from Polycarb 10mm thick. One is one faceplate screwed to it and the other has a face plate ring attached.

The donuts  of a similar size and a similar attachment as to the Longworths, all made from plywood.

Which do I prefer? Well each has it uses, benefits and limitations. The donuts have a greater capacity to handle a wider variety of shapes and forms over all the rest. But would be the most cumbersome to assemble and use.

Both the Cole and Longworth are basically for grabbing the rims  of bowls and area capable of a wide variety of sizes. But light cuts only due to the design.

It pretty wells boils down to what your going to turn. If your doing small intricate bowls with lids and finials etc I would make a Cole setup. On the other hand if your doing salad  bowls and the like. Then the Longworth are very versatile and suit this well.

The Donuts on the other hand can handle pretty much all of the above in a general sense with some mods etc. They do grip/hold best of all three and if your really keen  hollowing can be done as well. But as I said the most cumbersome to set up etc.

But the up side is you can make the lot your self.