Author Topic: something old with something new  (Read 4015 times)

DAVE BADKIN

something old with something new
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
Hi all
        this is a goblet I turned when I first stated turning about three years ago.The other day my wife Louise picked it up and asked if she could add some pyrography to it, but it was so rough and unfinished, I had only kept it as you do when it's your first. So I put it back on the lathe and re-turned it, finishing the base and the inside, but as I was looking at the grain I thought it would look nice burnt and a little guilt cream added so got the burner out and lit it up and then Louise did her bit and added the detail to the outside. It no-longer languishes at the back of a shelf hidden behind a book, it is now in the display cabinet in our front room for all to see.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:14:31 PM by DAVE BADKIN »

Andy Coates

Re: something old with something new
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:47:14 PM »
Hello Dave, welcome to the forum. Thanks for jumping straight in...I wish more would follow suit.

At first I was going to type..."the shape, as you'll know, isn't quite right...", but then when I looked again I had a rethink. I the shape is fine for what it is. It looks stable, which for a goblet is a perfect state.

I don't know what it looked like prior to the re-work, but can imagine, and I think the end result is good. It has interest and contrast. Overall a good looking goblet and not the norm, so well done.

Andy

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:58:24 AM »
Thanks Andy,
                  the outer shape is the same as when I first turned it all that time ago, the reworking was a case of taking the chucking point of the base, hollowing the inside a lot deeper and thinning the wall thickness from the inside oh and removing the big dimple from the center. Apart from that I got it perfect the first time round, tee hee, ;D

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
Hi Dave ,welcome to the forum.
  I quite like this because it is unusual in asmuch as the positive inside and seemingly negative outside. We all have pieces that we hide away, I have an awful candlestick which was one of my first bits. I really ought to burn it but unlike you I would put mine on an open fire!
Regards
John

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:48:49 PM »
Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum
I like the idea - the contrast from the inside of the goblet to outside is good , but the stem is not right for me - Sorry.
Hope to see more of your work
Regards
Ken

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:54:52 PM »

Hi Dave,

And welcome, what a wonderful transformation by yourself and Louise, with burning, it didn't totally excape the fire..   ;D ...
Well done on an excellent new lease of life and sharing with us,  I may have a few which need the same..    :-[  ...  from the past.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
Hi Dave
Welcome to the forum
I like the difference in contrast from the inside of the goblet to the outside - looks very attractive.
The stem does look a bit heavy but as Andy said if its stable so what!
Regards
Ken