Author Topic: My kit...  (Read 3395 times)

arcos

My kit...
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:52:50 PM »
Time to fess up I guess...

I'm not even going to bother going to look and see the actual name on my lathe... It's Chinese ok!

I bought it off e-bay for 60 quid including two faceplates, live tailstock and 4 chisels (spindle gouge, scraper, parting tool(?) and 'detail scraper'(?).

Is this a review? NO! It's just to say that you CAN enter this fascinating, frustrating, wonderful art for not a huge amount of money!

The only thing that I have bought is a Nova Chuck... I would now not be without it!

The cheap plastic tightening handels/adjusters snapped/shattered pretty quickly so I bought a simple adjustable 'grip' spanner to tighten everything up before turning on.

Will it last forever? Unlikely! I'm amazed its lasted this long! Will be be rust free? It's NEVER been rust free! Not even regular cleaning and copious quantities of oil will stop the rust!

It does have an 'outboard'(?) screw for turning larger pieces... Not sure I would want to risk it!

There it is, thats my set up! Is it quality? OMG NO! Does it allow me to make shavings? OMG YES!

Do I enjoy making shavings? OMG YES!

So, in my opinion 60 quid well spent!

Devchef1

Re: My kit...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »
£60 you beat me lol, my first lathe, tools (4 chisels ) face plate , bowl rest, live Center and 4 jaw independent chuck cost me £107 (eBay) but I then did go and buy an Axeminster m900 lathe and a few more chisels and a Nova chuck

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: My kit...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »
if it gets you woodturning and enjoying yourself it doesn`t matter how much it costs,as whatever the cost its worth it if it makes you happy,and you can always upgrade at a later stage,I started off with a drill powered lathe from Argos,cost me £29.95p,it soon got modified,but then used for nearly 8yrs before I upgraded to an Axminster lathe,another 8yrs on and I have a big Jet lathe,keep on making shavings,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world