Author Topic: Moisture meter  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Alan Fordham

• iron
Moisture meter
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
I am compling a presant list for myself and want to put on it a moisture meter. Has anybody got a recommendation please.

ru55ell1

Re: Moisture meter
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »
Alan

I have the following Sthill Moisture Meter from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Wood-Moisture-Meter-MD-812/dp/B00118SL6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360710301&sr=8-1

I'm sure its not the best around but at £18 it gives me a measure of the relative moisture content in the wood which is useful in tracking the drying od the wood.

I like to rough turn wet wood, then log its moisture until its down to a low moisture content and this meter helps.

Guess its a bit like weighing the piece.

I think I read in a "Woodturning" that one of the well known professionals had an expensive meter (£ hundreds) but when he compared it with a freinds "cheap" meter there was very little difference in measurment. However it was noted that the quality of the construction was worlds apart.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »
Hi Alan  --  I have the little cheap one that Axminster sell for around £20, it does the job
well enough. We have a few surveyors in work that do house inspections and they carry
really expensive things that the tax payer pays for to measure for damp and there is very
little difference. Does it matter that a £250 model says a bit of wood is 22% and my
cheapy says that it's 20% ?  Mine has never been calibrated (if it's possible) the works one
is done twice a year !  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Alan Fordham

• iron
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »

Many thanks for your advice. It is helpful when others tell you what they are happy with.