Author Topic: Fox F28-186 Bandsaw Help Please  (Read 29304 times)

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
Re: Fox F28-186 Bandsaw Help Please
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
Give Terry Davis at Poolwood a call. He is very knowledgable and helpful.
I have had many dealings with him and always been satisfied with his help.

Fred Taylor

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 12:45:28 PM »
Hiya

I know Red Rose - I was demonstrating there in February.  They are friendly bunch and there is a lot of experience.  have a word with Tony Rowlands the secretary and he'll point you in the direction of someone who can help.  It's not far from there to yours and I'm sure someone will come and show you.

Bandsaws can be a devil to set up as you will see from the replies above. 

Alternatively, if you're around Saturday afternoon (19th March) around teatime, I'd be happy to pop in and show you how to set it up as I'm visiting my mum in Kendal and will be on my way home - Tea, strong, white, no sugar ;) :) 

My email is david.atkinson73@ntlworld.com

Cheers Dave

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
Much appreciated, i'll let you know. I just emailed poolewood, as Terry wasn't in the office, i'll see what he says. He may just send me a new part for the top assembly, or he may take another route, we'll see.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 07:54:22 PM »
hello Katchin, Have you got your Bandsaw up and running yet? Regards John
John Smith

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 12:19:05 AM »
hi, no not yet, but Dave is kindly going to look at it on saturday. Poolewood forwarded my email to Serracon(UK supplier I presume), I assume they will do something at some point  ::)
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
well, dave has confirmed that my bandsaw is great at looking like a bandsaw, but not great at being a bandsaw! So I guess I need a new one  >:(
John Simon Lawrenson

Andy Coates

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 09:01:33 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Katchin. Dave's a good man and will have given you the best advice you could have. At least now you won't be risking injury by trying to use a faulty machine.

Is it new and under guarantee?

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »
yes thankfully, hopefully poolewood / serracon will be speedy at swapping it out
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
Pleasure to meet you on Saturday John.

I hope you get it sorted out. 

We started from scratch and tried everything but it's just not right (it doesn't look square for a start) and not only that when we did turn it on it didn't go round much faster than I could turn it by hand - we tried cutting a piece of 1/2" pine and managed to stop the blade after an 1"  ???

I'm sure Poolewood will sort it out for you.  I've dealt with Terry before and found him to be very helpful.  not only that but you have a statutory right to a replacement machine or your money back as it's simple not fit for purpose.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Dave

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
well, new saw just arrived, lets hope this one works a little better!
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 03:23:06 PM »
Not much basically.

Its properly centred at least this time, no problems with the guides. But absolutely no power, same piece of 1/2" pine, blade stopped repeatedly. The saw sounded faster than the last one, but not much. Guess I will have to get a refund, and ebay the blades I bought for it :(

was slow to get to speed on start up too, yet it turns freely by hand.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:24:37 PM by Katchin »
John Simon Lawrenson

Andy Coates

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »
Not a good advert for Fox then.

It's a shame you've had all this trouble. I think I'd go the eBay way next time, or else plump for a Record bandsaw. I know a number of people with the 300 and 350 and they all say it's a great saw. Not sure how the price compares to your Fox though.

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »
The BS300E is £385, the 350S is £457, mine was £180   ;D

big price jump for someone totally new to turning, but as they say, you get what you pay for I guess.

Whilst I was writing this reply, the engineer from Serracon rang me up as I had already spoken to Terry from Poolewood. He wants to try a third time, and has promised to try the saw first before it gets sent out, so that would be good, as long as I get a working saw i'm happy, even if it has taken a month  >:(
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »
There must be something wrong with the motor again James.  have you tried running it without the blade just see how fast it sounds? 

Let's hope Serracon get it sorted for you.  Fox stuff is usually pretty good - we have their small lathe at out club and it gives great service. 

Here's hoping

Cheers Dave

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
bandsaw is being collected tomorrow and i'm opting for a full refund instead of a replacement, i've lost confidence in it. So I need a new option, I hear that the Startrite 352 is the best option if you can find a 2nd hand one, cant find one currently though. Any others you can think of that are good? I would go for the Record 300, but with VAT its £461, and thats just a bit too much for me.
John Simon Lawrenson