Author Topic: Versa chuck 3  (Read 7597 times)

woody

Versa chuck 3
« on: December 27, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
As you know I got the new Versa chuck 3 for Christmas so today I started to put it through its passes with a 10" x 3" bit of Checker wood so I started by seeing how accurate it is by first turning the outside on my toolmex supper precision chuck which is very accurate up to the top rim then I turned it round and mounted it on the versa chuck to finish the top of the rim and it was spot on newt I will try a 22" x 3" bowl

All of the parts are well engineered and fit perfectly and the jaw carriers fit very well on the Axminster jaws all in all I am well pleased so far and would recommend it please note the bowl was just to test the chuck and the wood has no finish on it

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
Re: Versa chuck 3
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09:02 AM »
Hi woody.

I`ve had a versa chuck for a couple of years now & have been very happy with it, is the 3 a new version & if so do you know what changes they`ve made?
From your photo mine looks the same.

Cheers.

Doug.

woody

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »
Hi woody.

I`ve had a versa chuck for a couple of years now & have been very happy with it, is the 3 a new version & if so do you know what changes they`ve made?
From your photo mine looks the same.

Cheers.

Doug.

Hi Doug I have never seen any of the others but from what I can gather the engineering is supposed to be better and I must say it is excellent on this one much better than the Axminster K10 and about on par with the old toolmex precision chuck Axminster once sold

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply Woody.

I`ll be interested in seeing the new one, I`ve always thought the engineering was very good on the one I have, it will be interesting to see the improvements.

I bought mine mainly because I wanted a second chuck that would take the sets of jaws that I have for my Nova chuck. I now find that I leave my pin jaws on the Nova & as swapping the jaws on the Versa is so easy I use this for all my other jaws.

Cheers.

Doug.

woody

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply Woody.

I`ll be interested in seeing the new one, I`ve always thought the engineering was very good on the one I have, it will be interesting to see the improvements.

I bought mine mainly because I wanted a second chuck that would take the sets of jaws that I have for my Nova chuck. I now find that I leave my pin jaws on the Nova & as swapping the jaws on the Versa is so easy I use this for all my other jaws.

Cheers.

Doug.
Well if ever your near Newark Lincs you can pop in and have a ganda

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »
Blimey, we`re almost neighbours Woody, I`m down the road in Mansfield  :o

I do some turned work for a cabinet maker over in Boston so do pass through Newark occassionally, it might be a while off but I would be interested in taking up your kind offer at a later date.

Cheers.

Doug.

woody

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
I will PM you my phone number

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »
I`m glad you like your new chuck woody,I`ve had a Versa chuck for nearly eight years now,I`ve done finials and miniature goblets a 1mm thick to bowls that started as 50-60 lb pieces of wood.the different jaws you can mount make it so versatile to,I have Axminster jaws,Oneway jaws,Sorby jaws and Vicmark jaws,they all fit their respective jaw carriers perfectly,oh I have some Versa Chuck jaws to,it can work out expensive at first buying all the jaw carriers,but in the long run the time it saves you in wasted time changing jaws over makes it worth it,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

petercharlesfagg

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »
I too have been using the Versachuck on a regular basis for my business ans am extremely pleased with the results.

I would recommend it to anyone.

As stated the initial purchase of the jaw sets can be expensive but the whole thing repays itself with it's versa-tility!

Regards Peter.