Author Topic: Coloring wood  (Read 10652 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Coloring wood
« on: March 15, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »
What are you views on coloring wood  and which do you think sells best.
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Coloring wood
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:27:21 AM »
Way back in the 60s I was taught woodwork by a teacher who believed strongly that wood should not be stained, and his influence rubbed off on me. However, in the last year or so I have come to appreciate that colour can add a further point of interest to a piece and I have started experimenting with it. So far, I have sent four or five pieces out to the galleries and they have been received very favourably indeed by the gallery owners. The attitude seems to have been that the colour takes them further away from being utilitarian and more into the realm of art.
As for which sells the better; I'm yet to discover, but am having fun finding out.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:02:24 PM »
I personally am not keen on it at all , most of what I see looks gaudy , I suppose it is a way of jazzing up a bit of bland wood but often It resembles something made of plastic .   I have seen a few examples where it is nice but would rather see a decent bit of wood any day ,  this is WOOD turning after all !!  Terry...

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
The way I see it is that there seems to be some who are really good at it - Nice Agar and Joey Richardson immediately spring to mind. The problem is that most people aren't so good at it, I've seen a lot of bowls that look like they've been involved in an accident in a paint factory!

I must admit that it's not my bag but I can certainly appreciate a good piece. Imo less is very often more!

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:51:03 PM »
George, I'm biased, I like coloured wood but I'll note something Mark Baker said,

'When they put coloured wood on the cover of the Woodturning Magazine they have a 40% drop in sales in the UK that month, and a 40% rise in sales over the rest of the world.'
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »
Not sure if I have done enough colouring of my own to qualify me to comment on this subject. Remember the piece I made that was inspired by Mondrian? well I have never had a piece sell so quick ever. But not sure if that would be classified as coloured?

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
This is about the only colouring I do and most of it is scorching ... Ash 18" dia and 5" deep

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 08:52:40 PM »
Very nice not a bit Gaudy

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »
This is about the only colouring I do and most of it is scorching ... Ash 18" dia and 5" deep

Hi Terry...might I be so bold as to ask what process you used for that piece...did you have to avoid scorching the areas where you stained, or did the stain take through the scorching?
Les

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 10:15:19 PM »
Haven't got a clue about selling but give me unadulterated wood every time

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 10:45:48 PM »
I have no problems with coloured wood. I have made platters with different colours and patterns on the rims and have sold a few (I don't really try to sell my work). Blue seems to go down well. I don't see a lot of difference between ebonisimg, scorching or colouring/painting. Malcolm.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 08:47:35 AM »
There must be something in it, just look at how everyone loves a vibrantly coloured piece of Yew, and those bits always sell well.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 10:45:57 AM »
I colour and/or texture quite a few things I make but I also like a nice piece of wood with plenty of character too.

One thing I would say though, colouring does nothing to improve something that was badly made in the first place. For example, I see many things where, in my opinion, the shape just doesn't work and no amount of colour will rescue that.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 10:51:25 AM »
....One thing I would say though, colouring does nothing to improve something that was badly made in the first place......
.....or something that was badly finished. Indeed, nothing highlights a poor finish, be it scratched or tear-out, like any type of stain or applied colour!

Les

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »
I like it all.