Author Topic: Deep Sanding  (Read 7523 times)

Paul Disdle

Deep Sanding
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:05:31 PM »
I have turned my first vase type form but am a bit stumped as to how efficiently sand the inside that's past my finger length.  Please share those top tips or gadgets with me.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Deep Sanding
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »
Hi Paul...I hit exactly the same problem when I turned my first vase, and posted much the same question on here. I got lots of advise, which basically said that the trick is to make up your own 'sticks' with bulbous shapes on the end, over which you fix your abrasive papers. Having said that, 'sticks' come in all shapes and sizes, and are limited only by the needs and the imagination of the individual turner who is going to use them. For my first 'stick' I took my knock-out bar and taped a piece of abrasive paper to it, and it worked. Now I'll try just about anything I can lay my hands on, but also still resort to turning them specifically to suit a job if I need to.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »
we sell a long reach sanding system its the hope sander on an extended bar great for getting in to deep vases
contact me if you need more details as to my shame i havent got them on the web site yet

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:13:49 PM »
Hi Paul

I had the same problem and got one of the Hope sanding systems at the south east show and it works a treat, I tried the sandpaper on a stick and wasn't happy with the way the sandpaper sat on the end.

Ed 

Offline ColWA

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:29:37 AM »
Depending on the size hole I use a flap wheel on a 30cm  extension .
Works for me

Col

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
I have a bit of threaded rod with a turned bit of wood glued on the end with a slot down the side and another across the end,the rod goes in the drill turning the opposite way to the lathe rotation,I`ve aquired a hard rubber ball which will replace the wood one of these days,and will fit sticky back velcro to the ball and add a sliding piece of wood with a nut under it, so when velcro type abrasives are use the ends can be tucked in under the ball/wood join.
welcome to my woodturning world

Paul Disdle

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. With the hope system is that different from the flat faced arbours he sells as I have one of those aready

Eric I was thinking a squash ball on a stick covered in velco might do the job.

Thanks again

Paul

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 08:36:52 PM »
Here is my solution, I make various 'Sanding Sticks' and using a fine toothed Japanese saw cut a slot in them.

The slot holds the abrasive paper, it can then be run in and out while apply gentle downward pressure.

I drawn an arrow so I remember which way to allow the abrasive to curl so it sands, not reverses itself inside the vase and uses the paper-side.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
I`ve got arrows all over the place to make sure I get things the right way around ;D ;D ;D
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »
Here is my solution, I make various 'Sanding Sticks' and using a fine toothed Japanese saw cut a slot in them.

The slot holds the abrasive paper, it can then be run in and out while apply gentle downward pressure.

I drawn an arrow so I remember which way to allow the abrasive to curl so it sands, not reverses itself inside the vase and uses the paper-side.

Now that is a great idea may just have to borrow that one if I may