Author Topic: Stock for the gallery  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Stock for the gallery
« on: September 20, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »
I've been busy for the last couple of evenings, getting a few bits and pieces to add to the boxes of stock that's heading off to the gallery that's started selling my work. Firstly, I re-lidded a pretty little box out of amboyna burr. When I first put it in the gallery it became evident that the lid wasn't right. I've made a new lid that is much more in keeping, and I've added a cabochon of mariam jasper....a form of fosilised grass and sea shell shards. I think it looks a lot better...how about you guys?

Next, a lidded bowl out of curupay, which was a horror to turn because the grain was so interlocked and random. The lid is out of a piece of quarter-sawn oak, ebonised with spirit stain and then burnished with a piece of leather to let the medullary rays show through. It's 150diam (6") and 125mm tall (5")

Then a yew bowl, which I made just to try out a bead-cutting tool that I'd just bought. It's cut out of a 200mm x 50mm blank (8" x 2")

...and finally, a little 'ginger jar' trinket box out of olive-ash, 150mm (6") tall.

The gallery has indicated that it will take anything of this general style of 'craft-ware', so I've got about 30 pieces ready to deliver on Sunday.

Comments and criticisms always welcome....Les

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Stock for the gallery
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »

Hi Les, Now what can I say, I like the elements of the 1st box, the cove could have been cut a little cleaner in the rim.

2nd box try it, worth the shoot .. if they hate it .. not just me, not that I hate it ..  is it possibly that the bottom should be a little more rounded, like the bottom of the first box, the lid, did you think of Halloween, this being a hat .. could the classic teardrop work here to finish it off. Lids can be a bit of an Achilles’ heel...

The yew ....  you have made more than a perfect job, young man, well done ... proportions work nicely and the bead sets it off, and a good price will more than pays for the beading tool, well worth it for sure, this is a tool that you will not put down often and we'll see bead detail in everything.

Ginger Jar .. classic, I'm not sure about them, is it the long neck, should it have been shorter and the lid have a step recess cut similar to fit, I know I got it wrong, well left the recess out on lid of the 1st box I made too..

Pictures too, can be misleading, the slightest of difference in angle, lighting or back drop could change the viewing point and the presentation of the piece.

Four of forty, is doing well so far ... remember when you're out tomorrow to re-stock the midnight oil.

cheers Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Revopix

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »
To me the Ginger Jar is not the right shape. I prefer what I think is a more traditional shape. click on this link to see a small one I made a few years ago. 
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/67072953@N02/7169939592/in/set-72157627651912737

Dave.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:55:55 PM »
Les,

I really like the 2 pots and that cabochon is truly a fantastic piece of stone.

The Yew bowl is attractive but I'm having trouble seeing it as either a useful item or decorative as it's a little small for either - but that might just be me.

The Ginger Jar has a stunning grain but to tall in my eye.

Despite my comments the finish is stunning on all of them. Well turned.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
Cheers guys....yep, the ginger jar is the weak one in that batch! the more that I look at it, the more that I accept that its proportions are a bit stretched...back to the drawing board with that one!

Bryan....I liked that piece of stone from the moment it arrived in the post and I think that I found the perfect setting for it. I've been trawling the internet trying to get more round cabochons of that material, but all that I can find is oval ones, which aren't a lot of use to us.

Cheers guys...Les

Mark Sanger

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
Les

All the best with the gallery, it is a great buzz when you first start selling work in such a way, in fact it is a buzz selling work at any time.  :)

I very much like the first pot and the Yew bowl, I hear what Bryan is saying but I have found that people if they like the look of a bowl tend to buy anyway purely as an interior accessory.

Again all the best with your sales.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
Hi Les, Well done I wish you every success you have worked hard for this good luck  :) :)

Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:21:56 AM »

The gallery has indicated that it will take anything of this general style of 'craft-ware', so I've got about 30 pieces ready to deliver on Sunday.

Comments and criticisms always welcome....Les

How did Sunday go ... been cleared out of everything you'd made....   8) ...

Cheers   Dewi

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:24:53 AM »
Hi Dewi....I delivered 35 pieces to them, but the gallery owner was away for a few days, so she'll be assessing it all in the next day or so. I'll go back to see her on the weekend.

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »
Hi Dewi....I delivered 35 pieces to them, but the gallery owner was away for a few days, so she'll be assessing it all in the next day or so. I'll go back to see her on the weekend.

Les

You did well, Les, Trust you've more if She needs them.

Cheers        Dewi

Clavico

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 05:54:46 PM »
they are all quite nice and I especially like the first one. I like boxes with stone inserts.  Super job!

Best, Robert

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »
Cheers Dewi & Robert, and thanks for the remarks.

That's it, I'm now out of stock, so it's Christmas baubles flat out for a week or so, then back to making lidded trinket bowls and boxes.

Les