Author Topic: Wooden Sanding Arbour  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Wooden Sanding Arbour
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
I post this as a follow-on to my promise of information in reply to Les' Oak burr N/E bowl.

I doubt this is original to me, certainly I've seen many people use the sanding arbour mounted in a Jacobs chuck shown in the first picture. However it's a method I fast learnt to dislike.

It did not have the reach for some of my deeper vases and any contact with the rotating metal could damage the turning.

So I made one out of wood, well several actually, all various lengths to give me different depths. I also have recently added the additional pad on the end I can make these with different hardnesses of foam so the can adapt to the shape they are sanding easier.

As they are made to fit the jaws of my chuck, I don't have to keep dismounting it.

One great advantage of using these to sand the bottom of a bowl or anything is; when the lathe rotates the wood, it has a centre of rotation, hence you can get sanding marks in rings; however by finish sanding with the extended arbour (which does the rotating), you keep moving it and hence no concentric rings in the bottom of your bowl and a better finish.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Wooden Sanding Arbour
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »

One great advantage of using these to sand the bottom of a bowl or anything is

....that you don't get bloodied knuckles from trying to reach inside a narrow N/E bowl!

Thanks for the follow-up, Brian...I might well try that one out.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.